Saturday, April 15, 2006

Week #13: Back on Track

04/15/2006

I'm happy to report a 1 pound loss this week. I was really hoping to lose another 1.5 on top of that, but, hey, no sense in being greedy, right?

As I mentioned previously, I'm considering a job change. Last week I had lunch with the individual I'd be working for if I were to take the job. (The job is with my former company - same department but different responsibilities). I really like this guy. He reminds me of a previous boss that I really enjoyed working with.

We talked about job responsibilities and everything sounds great. Challenging and interesting with plenty of opportunity for me to grow. In fact, I could probably get my Seibel Certification paid for. We had a brief email exchange about salary and benefits. I mean, I really shot for the stars - not for the moon, because I didn't want to scare them off - but high enough to really get me to consider it. He didn't blink.

This all sounds great, doesn't it? And, it really is! The biggest challenge is that I think I'd feel guilty if I left my current job. I know, I know . . . it's a job. But this company gave me a chance and has paid me pretty well. I get to wear jeans every day, am a team lead, etc. In fact, I'm even being considered for a couple of other positions here. I can pretty much pick which way I want to go.

When I compare the jobs side by side, the new one has a few more perks:

-3 weeks of vacation plus holidays (it's a bank - lol) versus 2 weeks vacation
-AVP title
-Ability to work from home 2 days a week
-Health insurance - I have it now, but not on Vince and Jake. That's an out of pocket expense now.
-Life & disability insurance on me and Vince, as opposed to none.
-401k
-SIGNIFICANTLY less stress.
-No more travel unless it was very unusual.

etc. etc.

I would be giving up:
-Super short drive to work. My current commute is about 12 minutes. It would go up to about 45 minutes.
-Being casual at work. It took a while to get use to, but I sure do like it.

Wow, when you write it out like that it seems pretty obvious . . "suck it up, girl and put on those hose and get in the car!" LOL!

I don't know. I both love and hate my current job, if that makes any sense. It's extremely hectic and crazy and working 80 hours a week will never get the work done. Sometimes that's very exhilirating. Other times it's a big pain in the butt.

Okay . . . so . . . poll time . . .

Current Job?
New Job?

I put my fate in your hands! :)

Care'

3 comments:

What Was I Thinkin'? said...

I came across your blog by accident, so I hope you don't mind if I vote. The deciding factor is working from home 2 days per week. My daughter works from home all week and only goes to the office (120 miles!) once a month or so. That plus the other benefits makes it worthwhile.

Caré said...

Thanks for the opinion! I know the 2 days a week will be hard to top!

Care'

Karon said...

I have to say I think the new job sounds very good. Being in a similar situation, making the decision is a tough one!