Sunday, May 14, 2006

Week #17: Scale Went Up, But I'm Cool With It

05/14/2006

I weighed in yesterday morning and was up half a pound to 199.5. But, you know what? I'm totally okay. I wasn't exactly 100% on plan last week while I was on my business trip. I did GREAT on exercise, but I didn't do so well with the water. I think I was talking too much to get all the water in - LOL! And, even though I made healthy choices at mealtime, I probably took three more bites than I should have. So, that's why I'm cool with a half a pound increase. I felt like I indulged a bit last week, but managed to pretty much maintain my weight. That tells me that I'm really starting to get control of this eating thing. And, it lets me know that I can lose this weight and keep it off for the rest of my life.

It's funny when you reach this realization. . .

Suddenly, the number on the scale isn't that important. What use to be an opportunity to belittle myself has turned into something as important as looking at a clock - you need to know what time it is, but there's just no use in getting freaked.

Plus, I'm noticing a huge change in the shape of my body. It's almost like those weeks where I was losing very little or nothing at all were the time my body needed to adjust to the weight loss. It is so apparent that even I notice a difference in the mirror. A few people have commented and Vince has really made a big deal about the change. So, how could I possibly be down in the dumps when my body is starting to adopt the shape that it will ultimately become?

Watch out . . . I'm gonna be HOT. LOL!

Oh wait, I am hot already! :)

I've also been reading an interesting book this week called "Burnt Toast" by Teri Hatcher. Now, I'm not a huge fan or anything, but when I picked up the book and read the back, something just spoke to me, so I made the purchase. As I'm reading this book I'm thinking, "My goodness, I could have written this thing!" Sure, there's some stuff that doesn't apply to me, (i.e. the last time I checked I wasn't living in LA and appearing on TV), but her self-image and the rebuilding of her self-image is VERY familiar. She and I share the same views of media's protrayal of women, and she made me look at the whole weight issue from a different angle. I'll warn you, she can become a bit of a potty mouth at times, but it's an enjoyable read.

So, anyway, today marks the beginning of another week. Another opportunity for me to take steps to improve my health. Another opportunity to possitively impact other peoples' lives. Another opportunity to do something wonderful for myself.

Yes, I've turned corney over night . .

With friendship,

Care'

5 comments:

Karon said...

Terri Hatcher was on local radio last week discussing that book. I wondered about it since you're the second person I've seen mention it, I think I'm going to have to get it for a good read. Glad you're doing so well, sweetie!

heavenlydm said...

Corny can be good...lol. The mental thing is key, and once things are in their proper perspective you can have so much more inner peace and cope a lot better. You're on top of the game.

Melissa said...

you sound like me a little over a month ago: the scale is not your friend. Isn't it just awesome when you come to that conclusion? suddenly it doesnt seem so important anymore, and it makes things easier when you know a number isnt the start all and end all of what's important. Good progress.

Wendy said...

Great attitude! The scale definitely isn't the best or most accurate form of measuring progress. WOOHOO! Don't you just love the changes in your shape? Keep up the great work!

Emily said...

Great job, and I love the positive attitude. All you can do is your best, and if that scale isn't telling you what you want to hear, you just keep on going. And hey, a half of a pound could be the difference in blowing your nose! That attitude will take you far. I'm with Diane. Corny can definitely be good!