Thursday, February 14, 2008

An interesting discussion . . .

Before I lost 50+ pounds a year ago I would find myself eating without realizing it - almost as if I "woke up" with that cookie in my mouth.

Now I stare at the cookie and have a discussion.

"I shouldn't eat you."

"Yes, you are right. You should NOT eat me."

"But you look so good."

"I'm not really good. I taste bad. Go away."

"You lie. I KNOW you taste good. And I want something sweet."

"You will hate yourself later. Go walk on the treadmill. Have a glass of water. Get your fat butt up to the gym. Do something, ANYTHING but eat me."

"I want you, though."

"Throw me in the trash."

"But that would be wasteful."

"Undoing all your work this week would be wasteful. Go away."

Even though the cookie is making a lot of sense, I eventually eat it anyway.

So, it's good that I'm making conscious and informed decisions about my food, but what is in me that still makes me eat the bad anyway? I feel bad for the person I was a few years ago that was uninformed. But, now that I am informed, I'm mad as hell at myself for STILL making the bad choices. It's kind of like knowing the oven is hot but still sticking your head in anyway.

Gotta run. The potato chips are are whispering . . .

No comments: