Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Crap.

07/11/2006

Well, I did it. I gave my notice to my boss yesterday afternoon. He pretty much looked at it and told me I'd have to deal with his boss, which was my worst fear. My boss' boss is the CEO of the company and man, is he a salesman!

Sure enough, around 4:00 yesterday he came up to me and asked that I meet with him this morning. I said no. He laughed. He said, "how about 10?"

So, last night I was really stressing out. I finally decided to just quit worrying and wait and see what happens.

10:00 rolled around this morning and I went to his office. Yep, he's one heck of a salesman.

Now I don't know what to do. I am SO confused. Bottom line, the benefits and immediate salary are better at the new job. But, the long-term growth potential and earnings are better at the current job.

Crap.

I talked about the stress level and the hours. Apparently, I'm not supposed to be killing myself like I am and that can immediately be rectified. He did remind me that I kind of have a controlling personality and that I'd probably work myself to death in the new job too. As much as I'd like to deny it, he's right. I do have a tendency to jump in head first and take on way too much responsibility.

New Job - better immediate pay
Current Job - better long term pay

New Job - long drive to work
Current Job - short drive to work

New Job - must dress up
Current Job - business casual is considered overdressed

New Job - 1 more week of vacation
Current Job - same amount of vacation

New Job - significantly better benefits (insurance, 401k etc)
Current Job - some benefits - they are okay - not great

So, what would you do? Do you dance with the one that brought you or go back to an old flame? (The new job is actually the job I had prior to this one.)

Dazed and confused,

Care'

3 comments:

Emily said...

It sounds like you have made up your mind based on that list. But don't forget your frame of mind when you were coming back from vacation. You didn't seem too eager to stay at the current job then. Don't let them pursuade you into being unhappy. Good luck with your decision though.

heavenlydm said...

This IS interesting. I would weigh whether or not the boundries at your current job can be implemented successfully. If so and all things are equal or better overall at your current job...

Caré said...

Emily - you are 100% correct. I do remember how I felt when I got back and it was great.

Dianne - You know what - you are right. The boundries won't be implemented. And, there are no guarantees . . . . .

I think I'm already leaning towards taking the new job, but I'm going to ponder it some more this weekend just to be absolutely sure.

Care'