Sunday, July 23, 2006

Week #27: Update on Everything

07/23/2006

There's a ton of stuff going on right now, so I'll catch you up on everything.

WEIGHT LOSS
Or maybe I should title this "WEIGHT GAIN" . . . Yep, I'm up a half a pound. Double GRRRRRR. I'm struggling. I'm losing the will to even try anymore, but I haven't given up. I think some things in my life need to settle down a bit so I can get back on track.

JOB
I decided to take the new job and my notice was officially accepted last Monday. My last day in August 9th. Why, oh why, do I give this much notice every time I leave? As usual, most things have already been asigned to others and my workload has dropped significantly. I'm wondering if I'll have enough to do for the next two and a half weeks. But, I am looking VERY forward to the new job. It sounds like I'll be traveling for the first couple of months for training, which will be fun. I like travel - it's the hubby that doesn't like it.

HOUSE
I never remember how much I've shared about my never-ending house woes. We had a fire last December that originated in the heating unit. Basically, all of the ceilings in the house had to be repaired because the duct work was inside of fir downs. The cool thing is that we got to raise the ceiling in several areas, but there is still a TON of sheetrocking, taping, mudding, texturing and painting to be done. Every room in my house has some sort of repair work that needs attention.

We finished replacing the a/c and heating unit and installed all the new duct work in February, but since then work has stalled. Most of this is due to the fact that the insurance check didn't even cover the new a/c and heating unit, much less the repairs. Since we're having to fund the repairs ourselves (which is why I gave up NS food) and since DH is having to do the work himself, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out WHY work has stalled.

Last weekend work started again. DH and I decided that we would start in the hallway, since that had the most visible damage and because all of the books from the bookshelves that had to be torn down are piled in each of the bedrooms. The thought was that this would not only make the worst area of the house better, but the bedrooms would benefit from less clutter. All sheetrock was hung and taping and mudding was completed on half of the hallway last Saturday. AWESOME! Our plan for Sunday was to tape and mud the other side of the hallway. Then, we would texture this weekend and paint next weekend. The end was in sight!

In our apparent arrogance that something was FINALY going right with this house, we went out shopping. We went to a few stores and had a few more stops to make, but we had to come home because I had to pee (see, I'm still drinking my water.) I went to the bathroom in our master bedroom, and when I walked out I noticed my son was staring at the ceiling with his mouth wide open. When I looked up, I saw that there was a huge bubble and water was starting to drip on the floor.

Great.

I yelled for my husband who came in the room, saw what was going on, then immediately went to the attic to investigate. Meanwhile I made a mad dash to the kitchen (exercise, right?) to get a pitcher to catch the water. I placed the sad little pitcher under the huge bubble, and started moving everything out from under it as fast as I could. I managed to get a few things out of the way, but then it burst. . . . right on top of my head.

I looked up to see my hubby looking down at me from a now even larger hole in the ceiling. Here are some pics. Enjoy.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/pbjcreations/P1000524.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/pbjcreations/P1000525.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/pbjcreations/P1000526.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/pbjcreations/P1000528.jpg

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/pbjcreations/P1000527.jpg

As of today, we sill have the huge hole in the ceiling, because the condensing unit continues to leak. We think it may be because we have to insulate the dryer vent. Great. More work.

Anyone need a house? I'll make you a GREAT deal . . .

With friendship,

Care'

3 comments:

Melissa said...

That sucks about your house, Care. Especially the part about the ceiling caving in on you. Did you ever find out what caused the leak ? Try to keep up with your weight loss, you've done great so far, and the successful know that the secret is not to be an emotional eater. Keep dieting, that will fulfill your hunger, and work on your house, that will fulfill your time so you don't want to overeat. As Katherine said in Under the Tuscna Sun, "Now go work on your house and forget about it!" Have a great week.

Jesi said...

Wow.. Care, see what happens when I don't stop by for a while?? Such a bummer about the ceiling. Are you OK? I hope you and your family weren't hurt.

Congrats on the new job! Traveling is definately fun. I am looking forward to traveling in my new position too but still don't know if I will. I did finally get the OK to move down south and that will happen at the end of the month.

Bear gave me some great advise... if you have so much stuff going on in life that you aren't doing any diet stuff, take some time off and take care of everyting else for a while. Then get back to the diet when you are ready.

You'll make it. You've made it this far:)

Caré said...

Melissa - the leak turned out to be a combination of 3 things - the drip pan wasn't positioned correctly, the dryer vent wasn't insulated, and the unit was not level. It took a full week to finally get water to stop leaking into the bedroom. Now that everything is dry, we're ready to hang sheetrock. And you're right . . . focusing on the house for a while may me just what I need.

Jesi - Where ya been girlie? I missed you! Fortunately no one was hurt. The worst part was getting insultation up my nose. I sneezed for 3 days! Congrats on the move! How exciting! Thanks for passing Bear's advice along. I think that's what I need to do. Maybe in a month things will settle down again and I can get back on track. For now, I'm focusing on maintaining so that I can just pick up where I left off.