Saturday, July 08, 2006

Week #25: No Gain, No Loss, No Problem

07/08/2006

I think I finally figured out how to read my mom's scale (see previous post) and it appears that I'm holding steady at 193. Cool. Since I'm on vacation and it's that TOM, I'm pretty happy to be maintaining. Besides, I wasn't exactly an angel a couple of days this week. I caved in and enjoyed some Mexican food the other night.

The cool thing is, while I've been hanging out with Mom, she's picked up some of my eating habits. In fact, when she weighed yesterday, she was down 5 pounds! She is super excited and I'm happy for her. I think that was the jump start she needed to get her back on her weight loss plan.

My vacation ends tomorrow. I'm both happy and sad. Sad because, well, I have to go back to work! LOL! Happy because I miss my husband. (DS and I took the trip alone since DH NEVER gets any time off.) Jake and I had a blast - it's always fun hanging out at Nana's house - NO RULES! ;) But, we both miss Vince a lot. I just hope Vince remembers to pick us up at the airport tomorrow. We seem to have challenges with airport pick ups . . . .

I have to admit that I'm also excited to be going home. About two weeks ago I finally got THE JOB OFFER. (This was the one that started back in November of 2005. ) It's funny. Because it took so long to get everything worked out and because there were several times that I thought it was all going to fall apart, I didn't even blink an eye when the offer came in and immediately accepted. So, my start date is August 14th. That means that some time next week I'll be giving notice. I'm dreading it. I know my boss is going to be pissed and will try to talk me out of it. Then, his boss will try to talk me out of it. I'm not trying to be arogant - I just know this will happen. Since I've been there I've seen 5 people give notice, and all but 2 were successfully talked out of leaving. Ugh. Unfortunately, my boss' boss is one heck of a salesman, so I'm a little worried about the discussion. I just know that taking the new job is the right thing to do for me and my family. It will go a long way towards better work-life balance, which I so desparately need right now.

So, it's with a mixutre of excitement, sadness and glee that I face the journey back home tomorrow. Life is never dull, is it?

With friendship,

Care'

5 comments:

Jesi said...

Just remember Care.. you want to leave for a reason and not matter what they try to tell you that reason is still there. Just like a relationship... if it isn't working why force it.
I know you are strong enough to get through the bosses trying to talk you out of what you want.
Good luck and congrats on finally getting the 'offer'!
Here's to new beginnings!!

Emily said...

Great job maintaining this week. When on vacation, sometimes it's the best we can do. That's fantastic that your mom lost weight by picking up your habits.

Good luck giving your notice. Stand your ground if you know the new job is what you want.

Bob said...

Maintaining weight while on vacation is a victory in my book. Nice job!

Speaking of jobs, giving notice often is difficult. When I gave notice at my prior firm, they pushed really hard in trying to get me to stay telling me that I was leaving a warm, caring place for the "cold, calculated halls" of the new one. Well, almost seven years later, I could not be happier with the firm I went to and the old one is gone. Follow your instincts and if the move is right for you, be steadfast in your determination to go. Wishing you all of the best.

heavenlydm said...

Wow...good for you. I remember a post a month or two ago about your crazy worklife. I'm glad you're moving to something you feel will be more manageable.

Melissa said...

I'm glad you enjoyed your vacay. Good job on maintaining, which is all you can do while on vaycay. Double good job on on being a good infuence on your mom! As for the job, just give a two week notice. That's all that's required in most jobs, and you won't have too much time to thinkn when they approach you to talk you out of it.